Oaty apple & pear crumble with dairy-free & gluten-free custard
- Satisfying & comforting
- Contains anti-inflammatory properties
Oaty apple and pear crumble
Preparation and cooking time: 45mins
- 4 medium sized apples (Bramley cooking apples work best) , peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
- 4 pears, peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
- 100g/1 cup of oats
- 100g/1 cup of healthy granola. See our homemade granola recipe
1tbsp of raw cane sugar or low GI fruit sugar (optional – if you prefer tartness and a healthier crumble then don’t add sugar as the pears will provide some sweetness)
Preheat the oven to 180C
Cook the apples and pears with the sugar (if using sugar) in a large pan, stirring occasionally – add a splash of water if they start to stick on the bottom. When just about tender and a bit saucy tip into a large ovenproof dish.
- Spread the oats over the cooked apple and pear and top with the granola. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20-30mins until the topping is golden and crisp. You can cover the top with some foil towards the end of the bake if it is burning.
You can serve as it is or with an alternative to dairy cream such as oat cream. See our homemade dairy-free vanilla custard recipe for a good accompaniment.
Dairy & gluten free custard
Preparation & cooking time 30 mins
Serves 3 to 4 people
- 470ml oat milk
- Half a vanilla pod
- 3 eggs, yolks only (egg yolks are easier to digest when they mixed in with other ingredients)
- 3 tbsp of agave syrup
- 2 level tsp gluten free flour
- Bring the milk to simmering point slowly over a low heat. .
- Cut the vanilla pod in half and carefully scope out the pod with a small spoon
- Add the vanilla to the milk and stir
- Whisk the yolks, agave syrup and flour together in a bowl until well blended.
- Pour the hot milk onto the egg mixture, whisking all the time with a balloon whisk.
- Return to the pan and over a low heat gently stir with a wooden spatula until thickened.
- Pour the custard into a jug and serve at once.
- To keep hot, stand the jug in a pan of hot water and cover the top with cling film to prevent skin forming.
- Wheat free