Coconut coated date, almond and chia treat balls
- good source of protein
- good energy boost
- Contains iron & potassium
Preparation time: 15minutes plus chilling in freezer
Makes about 25 balls
- 250g soft pitted medjool dates
- 250g raw blanched almonds
- 3 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Desiccated coconut, for coating
1. In a large food processor fitted with an “S” blade, blitz most of the almonds and chia seeds on the highest setting until crumbly. Add in the dates, coconut oil and vanilla and blitz again until a sticky, stiff paste is formed. Add the rest of the almonds and blitz briefly, so there will be a nutty crunch with some bigger chunks of almond in the paste.
2. Place the desiccated coconut onto a large place. Scoop tablespoons or less of the paste at a time and roll into balls in your hands, then roll on the plate to coat in coconut.
3. Arrange the coated balls onto a clean plate and once all the paste has been rolled into balls, place the plate in the freezer for at least one hour or fridge for several hours before serving to give them a firmer, chewy texture. Store the balls in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for an even longer shelf life.